Why should you choose IT & M?
- Management is one of the most important aspects of the industry. When you enter the world of work, you will realize that knowledge of management in its various aspects is in high demand. Wherever you go, whatever you do, knowledge of management will give you the edge that brings you success.
- With knowledge in Management the entry point to the industry is at the managerial level. It is more of management skills than technical skills that is required mostly in the higher levels of the hierarchy. If you posses management knowledge and skills, you are more suitable for a managerial position of an organization.
- The combined knowledge of IT & Management (hereafter referred to as IT & M) bridges the potential candidate with a world of opportunities locally and internationally. Information Technology is a fast improving industry and has become part and parcel of almost any business and human activity. Therefore, expertise in IT coupled with a managerial background opens up a heap of opportunities for future job-seekers both locally and internationally. When IT is utilized in business environments, the combined knowledge of business and management will enable people to design and develop more business-oriented solutions.
- IT & M equips one with a baggage of management knowledge lacking in other technical degree programmes. As other technical degree programmes in Sri Lanka lack a management component, students are continuously compelled to follow management studies through additional programmes of study.. However, the external programmes that provide such skills are highly expensive. The new degree of IT & M provides a combined management and technical knowledge which is constantly demanded by the industry.
The admission requirement for the Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Management Degree Programme is determined by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in accordance with the Government Policy on University Admissions. The eligibility criterion is based on the UGC requirements. Only full time students are admitted to this programme. The current intake to this programme is 100 per year. The programme is open to candidates who have sat G.C.E. A/L Examination in any stream.
- To provide the opportunity for students to specialize in management in the field of IT
- To provide higher educational opportunities in IT for students of all streams
- To create graduates who are versatile in Information Technology and conversant in the application of Management theories.
- To develop in the students, the intellectual capacity and skills for research and advancement of knowledge in both IT and Management
The B.Sc. (Hons) in Information Technology & Management Degree Programme is conducted as a semester-based course unit system. The award of the degrees is based on the relevant By-Laws and the performance criteria. The course comprises of 7 semesters of academic work and a 24 week period of industrial training between the 5th and 6th semesters.
The medium of instruction during lectures, tutorials and laboratory classes in the programme leading to Bachelor of Science in Information Technology & Management program is English, like in all other courses offered by the University of Moratuwa.