What is IT & M?
An undergraduate of B.Sc. (Hons) in Information Technology and Management program will have followed a dual core degree program combining core Information Technology (IT) and core Management. Their expertise lies in synthesizing the dual core aspects in designing business solutions such as understanding and modeling consumer markets, consumer and business solutions, solution innovations, and management of IT projects in an IT driven context. On entering the IT industry, their orientation and direction lie towards contributing to a strategic role of the organization building solutions, understanding and interpreting business contexts, taking strategic decisions, managing resources, and providing the vision for the growth of the IT business and organization. As a whole, the expertise of an ITM graduate involves integration of strong information technology skills; management thinking and skills; and strategy perspective.
The program has been designed to;
- produce a layer of consumer solution-oriented interdisciplinary graduates by infusing several disciplinary-specific thinking into the field of information technology.
- capture the fast-growing opportunities in an evolving industry by merging stream specific thinking to a focal point to bring a proper blend to the information technology sector.
- contribute to the information technology industry by ensuring a continuation of a pool of talents who can assess market opportunities and orientations by approaching solutions from multiple perspectives, followed by design and delivery through effective management of resources.
- stimulate business solution innovations throughout the technology driven industry by applying consumer behavior principles.
- drive a technology prominent business by contributing to its strategic decision making and addressing strategic concerns.
- inspire solution-oriented thinking with the synthesis of core information technology and core management to incite transformation of economy into a solution driven one.
- contribute to the fields of academia and education through continuous research and development with an effective combination of technology, business, and human aspects.
What can an IT & M graduate do?
The graduates of IT & M degree program have opportunities to pursue their career in following areas but not limited to;
- Software Engineer
- Business Analyst
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Project Manager
- System Support Engineer
- UI/UX Engineer
- Data Science Engineer
- Database Administrator
- Technical Consultant
- Infrastructure Engineer
- Devops Engineer
Research & Development:
Graduates of IT & M can advance their education by pursuing postgraduate research opportunities (PhD, MPhil, MSc) local & abroad.
The management core instilled by the program has become instrumental in a manner that the graduates would be able to initiate their own start-up companies or form businesses.
Journey in IT
A graduate of IT & M program would become a fully-fledged IT graduate.
Journeys in Management
While the IT core remains strong, a graduate of IT & M would select one of the following journeys depending on the capabilities demonstrated in the first two years;
- Business Strategy: The selected students will be trained to see things, carry out business analysis, take decisions, and act as a strategist.
- Consumer Solutions: The selected students will be trained to analyze, understand, and model consumer markets; design and develop solutions. They will be trained exclusively to think and act like a solution designer.
The program includes four academic years consisting eight (8) semesters and one semester allocated for the industrial training of 24 weeks. The degree program is inclusive of group and individual projects spread throughout the academic period. The total number of credits required to be graduated is 150, consisting 110 compulsory GPA credits, 25 elective GPA credits and 15 non-GPA credits.
Apart from the core technical courses, the degree program includes modules to address a variety of life skills such as counseling, photography and active citizenship.
Who is an IT & M Graduate?
To this end, the B.Sc. (Hons) in IT&M graduates are expected to have the following attributes:
Information Technology proficiency:
- Be able to apply knowledge on programming languages, database management systems, computer organization and operating systems, computer networks, artificial intelligence systems, and related tools and technologies, to design and implement effective information system solutions for real world organizational problems.
- Be able to analyze, design, validate, implement, and maintain information systems, and work with specific tools used to design, develop, and document quality computer software applications.
- Be knowledgeable in the functional and philosophical areas of business and management, to create business value.
- Use systems thinking to see the interconnections in an organization and understand the overall organizational value generation process.
- Integrate management thinking and skills along with information technology proficiency in designing customer-oriented business solutions.
- Apply project management skills, leadership skills and team management skills in the organizational environment.
- Possess skills associated with assessing current financial status of the organization, business opportunities, economic conditions, and the industry contexts.
- Integrate Information Technology applications with managerial skills and thinking to maximize the end consumers’ values.
- Possess managerial expertise required in optimal utilization of resources while orienting the whole organization towards its growth by providing leadership at strategic level.
General intellectual skills and thinking
- Possess unified thinking; the ability to draw from different contexts, in taking business decisions and providing a vision for the organization. They appreciate and infuse different thinking and approaches into the business and organizational goals.
- Be able to find and synthesize relevant information from a variety of sources and apply them in decision making.
- Be able to identify the impact of business decisions particularly on stakeholders and, on the environment and society in general.
- Are job creators, managing and leading teams taking into consideration financial, economic and good governance aspects.
- Thrive for continuous improvement as life-long learners showing resilience and proactivity amidst change and challenge.
- Are passionate, dynamic, and adaptive to context and changes while being driven by challenges.
- Have the ability to interact effectively with colleagues and work collaboratively with mutual respect.
- Be able to work independently, with the ability and self-discipline to plan and achieve personal and professional goals.
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills, self-efficacy, and the ability to capitalize on challenges.
- Have awareness of social, moral, and legal practices of the profession.
The faculty creates an educational eco system which includes a culture and resources within which the students get the opportunity to;
- experience student centered learning
- be thoroughly exposed to the industry
- transform knowledge in to thinking and skills
- engage in activities related to the curriculum and peripheral areas
- be assessed in terms of theoretical and practical areas of the learning
- be groomed in personal and professional fronts
The program welcomes prospective students who are passionate towards IT, business and consumer solutions. A potential candidate should also be resilient, confident, and have the ability to cope with unchartered areas.
For the successful completion of the program, a certain aptitude which is assessed by an Aptitude Test in the areas of problem solving, numerical reasoning, deductive reasoning, critical thinking, information element extractions, abstract-concrete continuum pitching and holistic approach to problems is required.
For G.C.E. examination related entry requirements, please refer the UGC student handbook – ITM degree, IT/UoM.