This course is a one-year postgraduate diploma, leading to the two-year Master’s Degree in Urban Design. The aim of this course is to impart knowledge towards achieving competence in the art of urban design and create awareness of the skill amongst the allied disciplines. This course is ideal for early and mid-career persons with strong emphasis on urban design education.
The postgraduate course in urban design at the University of Moratuwa helps to develop professionals who are capable of seeing the city from multiple viewpoints and who relish working with interdisciplinary teams. The course equips students with the necessary skills to undertake design research and to learn about urban history, theory, urban design principles and fundamentals and communication methods. This is a studio-based course in which students gain expert knowledge, enabling them to build a career in urban design or related fields.
This course aims to:
• Provide a postgraduate level education in urban design which meets the fundamental demand expectations in the practice of urban design field.
• Provide students with required skills in urban design and related areas.
• Serve an integrating role between various related other disciplines such as planning, transport engineering, architecture, landscape design, conservation, facility management – and building cross-disciplinary strength.
• Open avenues to lead to further academic studies and research.
• Society and space
• Urban Systems
• Urban Morphology
• Urban Planning Methods
• Urban Synthesis
• Urban Design Studio Projects
• Case Studies
• Comprehensive Urban Design Project and Dissertation
• Urban Management and Finance
• Management of Projects and Facilities
• Urban Conservation
• Planning Law and Practice
• Urban Transportation and Accessibility
• Introduction to Design (Introductory Programme)
• The Honours Degree of Bachelor of Architecture.
• The Degree of Bachelor of the Science of Built Environment and a minimum of two years of relevant experience recognised by the Faculty of Architecture, University of Moratuwa, after obtaining the said Degree.
• Honours Degree of Bachelor of the Science of Town and Country Planning and a minimum of one year of relevant experience recognisedby the Faculty of Architecture, U niversity of Moratuwa, after obtaining the said degree.
• Postgraduate Diploma in Town and Country Planning or Postgraduate Diploma in Urban Development of the University of Moratuwa and a minimum of one year of relevant experience recognised by the Faculty of Architecture, University of Moratuwa, after obtaining the said PG diploma.
• Any fi ve year degree acceptable to the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty of Architecture.
• Any four year honours degree with related work experience in urban design, city planning, habitat design, spatial and physical planning of minimum three years after obtaining the degree recognised and acceptable to the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty of Architecture.
• The full professional qualifi cation in Architecture, Town and Country Planning, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Facility Management from the respective professional institutes and universities together with related working experience after obtaining the full professional qualifi cation and acceptable to the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty of Architecture.
Master of Urban Design: Two years (part-time)
PG Diploma: One year (part-time)
Course Director : Dr Janaka Wijesundara, 0718266155 ,firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Coordinator: Pricil De Mel, 0718345802, email@example.com
For more Details, visit http://www.mrt.ac.lk/archi/ud/