Why obtain Ethical Clearance?
The University Ethics Review Committee is the official body approve the ethical clearance for the research conducts under the name of the University of Moratuwa. The primary purpose of proper ethical conduct in research is to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone involved. This may include, for example, respondents who might be concerned or alarmed at some of the questions etc., and the student or researcher who needs to be aware of their personal safety, perhaps when gathering data in the field. As a general rule, all research projects involving human participants or using their personal information or body samples require ethical clearance.
This requirement applies to all the postgraduate research projects of the University of Moratuwa. The report of the Progress Review Panel should confirm the availability of ethical clearance once it get approved from UERC.
The investigator has to read and understand the process of lodging the ethics application with regard to the research he/she conducts. Relevant and required documents should be submit along with the duly filled application (Form A or Form B). In the event of any amendment in the research methodology, the student should obtain clearance for the new methodology.
The UERC Members
The ethical clearance process is managed by the UERC. This consists of members approved by the Senate, from all Faculties of the University. The UERC will receive applications, review them and/or obtain reviews from internal staff members or external ethics review committees as required. The UERC Committee is as follows.
- Chairpeson (Actg): Prof. (Mrs) Thanuja Sandanayake
- Nominee of Dean/Faculty of Architecture (Member): Dr. (Mrs.) Shaleeni Coorey
- Nominee of Dean/Faculty of Business (Member): Dr. Venura Welagedara
- Nominee of Dean/Faculty of Engineering (Member): Dr. Aravinda Abeygunawardane
- Nominee of Dean/Faculty of Information Technology: Prof. (Mrs.) Thanuja Sandanayake
- Nominee of Dean/Faculty of Medicine (Member): Dr. Kishara Goonaratne
- Convenor : Mrs. Oshadie Ranaweera/SAR - Faculty of Engineering
UERC Meeting Date
The date of the meeting will be 4th Friday of the respective month.
Application Submission deadline
Application submission deadline will be 4th Monday of the respective month.
Process for Granting Ethical Clearance
1. Application Form A: UERC will issue an Ethics Declaration Number (EDN) to the candidate. There will be no review of the application.
2. Application Form B:
- If risk falls into above-low risk category Part 1, the UERC will review the application, obtain views from two reviewers of the University (Senior Lecturer Grade I or above) and inform the decision to candidate.
- If risk items fall into both above-low risk category Parts 1 and 2,
- UERC will obtain views from two reviewers of the University (Senior Lecturer Grade I or above) A.
- Once clearance from the external committee is received, the UERC will inform the decision to the candidate.
3. The UERC will assign an Ethics Clearance Number (ECN) to approved applications, which can be used in future publications and other documents.
4. If the Candidate is unsure whether their research projects fall into the above- low risk category, they are encouraged to discuss with their supervisors with regard to the above arrangement. Depending on the nature of the research, itis the responsibility of each candidate to decide which method of application he/she needs to follow.
Note: If the research involves animals, candidates are encouraged to refer Guidelines for Ethics Review of Research Proposals Involving Animals in Sri Lanka, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo 2009.
Send all the ethics applications and inquiries to Ms. Kaushalya Amarasinghe (Secretory/ UERC) via email@example.com
Phone – 0112650301 (Ext. 3007)