Welcome to the Internal Audit division!
What is internal audit?
Internal Audit is a process applied to strengthen systems and procedures to minimize risks and improve efficiency for the betterment of the institution, employees and the stakeholders. It is not merely an exercise of detecting and reporting misappropriations of errors which have occurred. Internal Audit is to assist the management as a reporting agency in the process of decision making. Therefore, the Internal Auditor has access to any official documents, files, and books of records etc. belonging to the institution.
Who are we and what we do?
Within the university, the Internal Auditor carries out duties under the direct supervision and instructions of the Vice Chancellor. The Division is headed by the Deputy Internal Auditor and is supported by an Assistant Internal Auditor, five audit assistant and an office aid. The Division is assigned with the duties mentioned below.
- Preparation of an Audit Programme and an Action Plan annually according to the instructions of FR 134.
- Implementation of the Action Plan with the approval of the Audit Committee and the Council and with the concurrence of the Auditor General.
- Reporting the observations regularly to the Vice Chancellor with copies of the communication to the Auditor General and the Internal Auditor of the UGC.
- Issuing audit queries on observations made to Heads of Departments and Divisions with copies of the communication to the Auditor General and the Internal Auditor of the UGC while working on the Action Plan.
- Reporting the progress on the work done quarterly to the Vice Chancellor and the Audit Committee with copies of the communication to the Auditor General and the Internal Auditor of the UGC.
- Convening Audit Committee meetings regularly
- Reporting Audit Committee recommendations to the Council
- Taking follow up actions on the Auditor General’s queries and reports
- Conducting pre-audits of UPF refunds, gratuity payments, pension refunds and payments and bond calculations
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the existing procedures and making proposals to improve them
- Reviewing compliance with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Appearing in the Parliamentary COPE meetings as the Internal Auditor of the University
- Carrying out duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor.
The Audit Committee is a subcommittee of the Governing Council of the university and should comprise of at least three Non-Executive Board Members, chaired by preferably a person possessing financial management knowledge or the Treasury Representative with the Chief Internal Auditor as the convener of the meetings. The Superintendent of Audit and Internal Auditor, UGC will participate in the meetings in the capacity of observers.
The members of the Governing Council to the Audit Committee are,
Mr. S.M.T.H. Subasinghe
(Chairman – Member appointed by the Council)
Moore Stephens Consulting (Pvt) Ltd
Prof. (Mrs.) E.R.K. Perera
(Member appointed by the Council)
Dept. of Animal Science
University of Peradeniya
Mrs. A. Iddamalgoda
(Member appointed by the Council)
Human Resources Specialist
Mrs. M.S.P. Peiris
Deputy Internal Auditor
(Head of the department)
Ms. N.N. Sara
Assistant Internal Auditor
Mr. P. Viraj Manojith
Audit Assistant 01 (IA01)
Mr. M.C. Arjuna Dharmasiri
Audit Assistant 02 (IA02)
Ms. N. Rasini Hasangika Perera
Audit Assistant 03 (IA 03)
Mrs. M.D. Bhagya Jayaweera
Audit Assistant 04 (IA 04)
Mrs. W.A.D. Jeevani Lakmali Wickramasinghe
Audit Assistant 05 (IA 05)
Mr. K.A.G. Dilshan Kariyawasam
We are glad to assist you!
Please contact us for any concerns regarding Internal Audit.
Deputy Internal Auditor : M.S.P. Peiris
Extension : 1761
Direct : 0112650927
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Office Extension : 1760